Sunday, June 14, 2015

Leak Down Test on Original Motor


The rule I learned, was that if you sealed the intake and exhaust, a 2 stroke motor should hold 5 lbs for 5 minutes.


The original motor doesn't fair too well on the leak down test. I guess I shouldn't expect anything from 35 year old seals.


Hand pump to generate the 5 psi:


Leak down gauge to measure the result:


Into the cylinder:


Test tube rubber stopper clamped in the exhaust port:


And and intake part that has been sealed with plumbers Goop. I just filled the whole turn down:


I also did a straight cylinder compression leak down test with the piston at top dead center, to test the original rings. It lost pressure quickly, so much, I didn't bother to record the data. 

Using the wind up starter, I was able to get up to 100 psi on a compression gauge.

The original motor was running, I was using it. On a good day I would get 28 mph. If I reverse this into RPM, it would be 7234.









No comments:

Post a Comment